Thursday, July 31, 2014

Chili Basil Chicken

When I signed up for this challenge, I was very intrigued by the Spices & Seasons cookbook! I’ve always been a very sense-oriented person and knew this book would suit me well. The aroma that came from this dish was outstanding. The taste equally outstanding.

Chili Basil Chicken
by Debbie
Adapted from Spices & Seasons: Simple, Sustainable Indian Flavors by Rinku Bhattacharya

Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes to marinate. Cook time: 25 minutes. Serves 4 to 6

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1 1/2” pieces ( I left mine as a whole breast)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 large lime, halved and seeded
3 Tablespoons oil (I used a Persian Lime olive oil by my local oil and vinegar specialty store)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
3 Tablespoons very finely chopped fresh ginger
10 green chiles, slit lengthwise (I only used 4 because they were quite large)
1/2 cup finely chopped basil leaves, plus 8 to 10 leaves for garnish
3 or 4 dried red chilies (I used 1 Tablespoon of crushed red pepper)

Rub the chicken with the salt and turmeric. Squeeze the lime juice over it and set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a skillet or wok. Add the cumin seeds and when they sizzle, add the onion and ginger and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions wilt and soften.

Add the seasoned chicken and cook for 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken is turning fairly brown. (Since I left the chicken breast whole, I cooked it for 8-9 minutes on each side.)

Stir in the green chilies and basil leaves and cook until the leaves are wilted. Lightly crush the red chilies and stir in and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. (I sprinkled the crushed red pepper at this point.)

Sprinkle with the whole basil leaves and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Custom spice level: you can keep this Thai Basil Chicken recipe 100% family friendly by omitting the Asian chili paste and just spicing up your own plate or you.....
    website

    ReplyDelete