Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Spanish Peppers

Several years ago, my best friend and I were in Dallas. We were there for me to run a qualifying half-marathon. My husband was unable to go, so she gladly went with me. The night before the race, we went to eat at a quaint Spanish restaurant. While there, we ordered an appetizer of goat cheese peppers. We loved them so much that we ordered a second. They must have been fantastic because I qualified for the race I was trying to qualify for by 2 seconds!!! However, on a sad note, I didn’t get to run that next race because I fractured my pelvis in 4 places in the Dallas race. Just goes to show what determination can do for you, though. I ran my best ever race even AFTER the fracture happened at mile 5 of 13.1 miles. Once I returned home, I decided I wanted to try to duplicate what we had eaten and this is the recipe I came up with. Even my youngest grandchildren love eating these.


Spanish Peppers
by Debbie

10-12 sweet mini peppers
1 cup goat cheese, softened
1 cube Dorot Crushed Garlic
3 cubes Dorot Chopped Basil
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Remove the tops off of each of the peppers and clean the seeds out. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese and the garlic and basil cubes. Place in the microwave for approximately 35 seconds. Remove from microwave and mix well by hand until all the herbs are well distributed in the goat cheese.

Using a very small spoon stuff each of the peppers with the goat cheese mixture. Make sure each pepper is as full as possible.

Place in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil.

Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes. The peppers should be lightly softened and the goat cheese melted.

Serve with fresh basil on top.

1 comment: