Monday, April 1, 2013

The Sandra Special and How to Turn Any Coffee into Low Acid Coffee




I almost talked myself out of sharing this. Many of you may already know this trick but I didn't, so I've decided to share it with you. Recently, Willie and I were in New Orleans. The weather was on the cool side, and for some reason, our hotel room was on the humid side, and I was chilly. We had about an hour before we had to leave for an event and I wanted coffee. Now, I can't have coffee. I have to restrict all highly acidic foods in my diet. Did you know coffee is highly acidic? I didn't. And I adore coffee!

Willie was typing away madly on his laptop so I decided to sneak out. I went downstairs and I met a barista. She was lovely. Lovely looking, yes, she was young and gorgeous! But she had just a really lovely spirit about her. Amanda was her name. I told her I wanted some coffee but just a tiny bit. She asked me, why? I started whispering, well, I am not supposed to drink coffee but I love it, so I’m cheating. She whispered back, is it a caffeine thing? No, I said, it’s an acid thing. There was no one in the coffee shop, I don’t know why we were whispering. She said, fear not! She said she knew how to reduce the acid in coffee by about 70%, and she would share the secret with me! I dubbed her new drink The Amanda Special (fat free milk and iced coffee concentrate, heated) and for three days Willie went downstairs every morning and got me one.

When I got home, I googled and found that what Amanda knows is not exactly a secret. Still, it was to me. I've read many a post about cold-brewing coffee and I liked this one the best. America's Test Kitchen is always so thorough and they had the best pictures. So make your cold-brewed concentrate just as they tell you, and then you can make The Sandra Special that I've been enjoying all week!

The Sandra Special
by Sandra Simmons

1 cup almond milk, heated (I microwave mine for 1 minute 20 seconds and it's perfect)
2 Tablespoons cold-brewed coffee concentrate made with Lock-n-Load Java Charlie Don't Surf coffee

That's it folks. Couldn't be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment