Friday, April 19, 2013

Lock-n-Load Double Tap & Chocolate Pots de Crème!


A couple of weeks ago, I was visiting my dad in Florida, and I told him about the latest challenge for the 37 Cooks. Cooking with ground coffee for the Lock-n-Load Java Challenge! I had selected Double Tap coffee as one of my ingredients. The description included; "Robust but with hints of dark chocolate". I figured I needed to hone in on the chocolate. An unusual choice for this cook! My dad is a food lover so we started talking about possibilities. I am most definitely not a baker! In fact, my oven is used for pan storage. My dad said he would really like some chocolate pudding. Oh? He got up from his chair and pulled out one of my mother's books, stuffed with papers and articles she found interesting. He starts flipping through the pages like a man on a mission. He pulls out a piece of paper that was clearly very old. It was a recipe from my grandmother. When they were first married, my grandfather was in the Air Force and they were stationed overseas. During this time, my grandmother spent time in France and it was there she learned to make Pots de Creme. As I read through the ingredients and her notes, it really seemed like a good idea to try it. She used vanilla extract and port wine in her recipe. I swapped those ingredients for a vanilla bean and Lock-v-Load Java's delightfully fragrant Double Tap coffee.


I used the Double Tap in two separate recipes and I wanted it to be really strong. The package of coffee would make a standard 12 cup pot of coffee. I put the entire package and 3 cups of boiling water in a French press and let it hang out for about 30 minutes. I pressed the coffee and let it cool.

The result of this challenge resulted in a thick, rich custard. Is it really a Pots de Creme recipe? Probably not. But out of respect for my grandmother's memory, I went with it.

Lock-n-Load Double Tap & Chocolate Pots de Crème!
by Susan Ritchie
adapted from Leonie Caron's recipe of unknown origins

2 cups of heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
1/3 cup of superfine sugar
7 egg yolks
10 ounces of premium bittersweet chocolate chips (I prefer Ghirardelli)
5 ounces of strongly brewed Lock-n-Load Java Double Tap Special Reserve coffee
8 4-ounce ramekins
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Mint leaves, coffee beans, and blackberries for garnish (optional)

In a saucepan, heat the cream, vanilla bean, vanilla bean seeds and sugar to a boil. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add about a third of the cream mixture, whisking constantly. Return the pan to the heat and whisk the egg yolk mixture into the remaining cream mixture. Keep whisking until the mixture starts to thicken. Strain the mixture into a large mixing bowl through a fine mesh strainer to remove the vanilla bean. Add the chocolate and whisk until all the chocolate has melted. Add the coffee and whisk until smooth and creamy. Divide between the ramekins and refrigerate until completely cooled. Garnish with the mint leaves, blackberries and coffee beans. Dust with the powdered sugar and serve!

If you are going to store the Pots de Crème after they have cooled, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and allow them to sit out prior to serving. They are best served close to room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. Locksmith Tacoma

    ReplyDelete