Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Double-Chocolate Devil's Food Pancakes




Double-Chocolate Devil's Food Pancakes
by Sharyl Wolter
adapted from this recipe 


2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar – I used ¾ cup – adapt to your taste
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup freshly brewed coffee (I used Lock-n-Load Java Double Tap Special Reserve)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used a combination of special dark and regular; adapt to your taste.)
½ cup whole milk
½ cup melted unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips

NOTE: My batter was very thick so I added about another ½

cup of coffee and milk combined. Add more liquid at your discretion.

Combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl

In a 2nd bowl, mix/whisk together the coffee, cocoa powder, milk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla and then pour the liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips.

Heat a lightly oiled skillet (I used butter) over medium-high heat. I used my electric skillet.

Pour about ¼ cup of batter per pancake – if you pour too much, they are too large which makes them difficult to flip.

Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side – mine took about 3 minutes

Flip, and cook for another 2 minutes or so

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate. (I suggest letting them cool a little or the whipped cream melts and slides off.)


This recipe was a HIT with my guests. It is very easy to make and would be wonderful for a special event like a birthday, Valentine’s Day or Christmas morning. It is like eating dessert for breakfast but I did not find it too sweet. This is a keeper recipe for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment