Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Double Barrel Black Pork with Spicy Bourbon Cherry Sauce

There was no one home at my house the day I tested this recipe, so I made it at a friend's house and she and her 16-year-old son were my tasters. I loved the looks on their faces! I brought the rest home to the family and they loved it. The only request was that the sauce be served on the side so they could decide how much heat and sweet they wanted. Like I said, it was hot!

Double Barrel Black Pork with Spicy Bourbon Cherry Sauce
by Carol Ferguson

1 pound cubed pork
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dried chopped onion
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns

Combine the last 5 ingredients in coffee grinder or small food processor. Whir until you feel good about your consistency. Take a little taste, it's pretty good! Combine in a zip-top bag with the pork and rub it all together. Let rest for at least 2 hours. I cooked it over fairly high heat in a large cast iron skillet. I love cast iron! Sear the cubes on all sides and remove from the skillet.

Spicy Bourbon Cherry Sauce:
1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup bourbon, divided.
2 teaspoons chipotle powder*
1 jar cherry preserves
*more or less, to your taste. The first time I made this, I used 1 Tablespoon and it was really hot. I liked it, but know your audience.

Melt the butter in small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of bourbon (pour the rest in a glass and enjoy). Whisk in the chipotle powder. Add the cherry preserves and simmer until you have the consistency you want (you want it to be a little thick).

Have your pasta cooking while you're making your sauce.

Serve the pork over the pasta and spoon the sauce over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment