Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Coffee and Almond Rice Pudding (Made in a Coffee Pot)

This whole crazy idea was a team effort. My mom was in town when I found out about the Lock-n-Load Java challenge. My husband is the coffee expert in the house, so I charged him with choosing which two flavors I should try. As we were discussing the whole idea over dinner, we collectively came up with of a list of ideas. My husband suggested rice, which to be honest, I thought was crazy. Anyway, my mom left the next day while I was at work, and when I came home after she was gone I glanced at the idea list. Next to the questionable suggestion of rice, she had written caramel coffee rice pudding. Brilliant, I thought.

The idea of the cooking technique came later. I was doing random google searches for “foods with coffee” and “cooking

with coffee” when a hit came up for “foods you can cook in a coffee pot. At first I thought it was hilarious, then kind of smart, then I took it as a challenge. Hell yeah, I’m gonna cook in a coffee pot! Instant rice was on the list of coffee-pot-cookable items and the rest is history.

Coffee and Almond Rice Pudding (Made in a Coffee Pot)
by Allison Blank Donel


1¼ cup milk (10 oz)
1 Tablespoon Lock-n-Load Java Warrior Select coffee
½ cup instant rice, uncooked
2 Tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoons almond extract
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk, beaten
sliced almonds (optional)

1. Place the rice, sugar, almond extract, and salt in the coffee pot.
2. Put the ground coffee in the part where the coffee goes.
3. Pour the milk in the part where the water goes.
4. Start the coffee maker.
5. Once the milk has completed its journey through the pot, let the whole thing sit on the burner and continue to cook (or warm) for 10 minutes. You may need to stir occasionally.
6. Pull the pot off the burner, and add the beaten egg yolk to the rice a little at a time, stirring to completely incorporate each addition.
7. Return the pot to the burner and let it continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
8. Once it reaches your desired consistency, spoon the lovely creamy pudding into two small ramekins and top with some sliced almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment